(Disclosure- I was given complimentary tickets by Sony Pictures to see the movie in exchange to help promote the film, all opinions are my own.This post contains affiliate links.)
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation is coming to theaters July 13th to help you prepare for the film here are some cute crafts to do with the whole family!
Have a MONSTERously fun time with a ‘HALLOWEEN IN JULY’ celebration to mark the return of our favorite monster family in HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 3: SUMMER VACATION!
Here are a few ways to prepare for your HALLOWEEN IN JULY event:
- INVITATIONS: Let campers and parents know about this special day by handing out invitations. Use this simple template – – https://spaces.hightail.com/space/37OrXNvlIt.
- MOVIE NIGHT: To get campers and their families excited about Halloween in July, you might want to have a special showing of HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA or HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2 prior to the event.
- DRESS: Campers can come dressed as a monster or wear a favorite Halloween costume.
- DECORATE: Watermelons are the new “Summer Pumpkin”! And one of the best parts about carving a watermelon is that you can easily eat the insides. This video is rated SC for Super Cute. Here’s a video demonstration – https://spa.cimediacloud.com/mediaboxes/15650c5fedd44e908ec5eefca657de30 – about how to carve a watermelon. Please note that this activity should only be done by adults.
We’ve provided lots of SPOOKtacular activities and games that will make HALLOWEEN IN JULY a highlight of the summer.
MONSTER SCAVENGER HUNT
- Print out the images of the Hotel Transylvania 3 characters – https://spaces.hightail.com/space/Yi48fQ20il.
- Glue the images to a piece of cardboard so they are a bit sturdier.
- Hide the images.
- Provide fun-filled clues to help the children find the images.
MAKE GREEN SLIME
Make your own slime version of Blobby (insert character image)
All of the materials are readily available at Michaels craft stores. Please go to Elmers Slime for various slime recipes and measurements.
- Plastic bin with top to cover slime
- Elmer’s white glue (gallon size if making for a large group)
- Baking soda
- Washable green acrylic paint
- Renu contact lens solution (generic brands do not work as well)
- Baby Oil
- Spoon for stirring
- Optional: Green glitter
- Pour entire container of glue into bin
- Add baking soda and mix together
- Add green acrylic paint mixing as you add it until you reach desired color (Some recipes recommend food coloring, but that stains your hands.)
- Add drops of contact solution until it is not too sticky. You just have to experiment as you add so that you reach the correct consistency. Important: If you add too much contact lens solution, the mixture will harden and break off.
- If you make the mixture ahead of time, cover the bin with the plastic top to preserve it.
- Set out squares of parchment paper on a table
- Place a “blob” of the slime on the paper.
- At this point, you can add the optional glitter.
- If the slime is sticking to kids’ hands, you can pour a few drops of baby oil on to their hands.
- Children can “mold” the slime into a Blobby shape.
- At the end, provide a plastic bag so campers can bring home their slime.
Definitely have lots of green face paint as well as black paint to draw scars, bolts and bats on campers’ faces.
DRAC IMITATION COMPETITION
Kids love to imitate Drac’s signature phrase “Blah Blah Blah”.
- Show this video – https://spa.cimediacloud.com/mediaboxes/c008ca51abc340a5915ba17977acbf27 – and then have campers present their own versions.
LEARN TO DRAW DRAC
In this fun video, HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 3 Director and Writer Genndy Tartakovsky shows you how to draw Drac starting with his “coffin-shaped” head — https://spa.cimediacloud.com/mediaboxes/3b55f6a5145e4a088b9d9c6fdc16bfbb.
You can lead campers in a demonstration.
- Before starting this activity, practice drawing the characters on your own.
- Set up an easel with a large pad of paper.
- Take campers through each of the steps using a Sharpie pen.
For those YMCA camps that are based in school or Y buildings, you can decorate the door to your classroom with all sorts of Hotel Transylvania 3 and monster-themed materials. Here are some images that you can use – https://spaces.hightail.com/space/Yi48fQ20il.
When the monsters embark on their cruise, they are all given flower leis. Leis are often worn to celebrate an event. Let’s celebrate the start of summer by making our own leis.
- Plastic Straws
- Oak Tag Paper in Assorted Colors
- Hole Punchers
- Lei Cut Outs – This is one of the last PDF images provided in this link — https://spaces.hightail.com/space/Yi48fQ20il
- Cut a string of approximately 50 inches.
- Cut straws into thirds.
- Cut out various shapes and punch a hole in the middle.
- Alternate stringing on the plastic straws with the shapes to create a lei.
- Tie the end pieces of the string together.
This is an absolutely hilarious game. Each team has three people – one person who will be The Mummy and the other two who will wrap the Mummy in toilet paper.
- One or two rolls of toilet paper per team
- Wrap the Mummy up with toilet paper beginning at the ankles of The Mummy and going up to the head.
- Please warn the team that toilet paper tears easily, so it’s important to carefully wrap the Mummy.
- Remember NOT to wrap the Mummy’s eyes, nose and mouth with toilet paper.
How to Choose the Winner (Two Options)
- The team that wraps the Mummy up the fastest wins.
- Set up a timer for 10 minutes. When the timer rings, have a judge decide which team did the best job of wrapping the Mummy.
PIN THE FANGS ON DRAC
Here’s a twist on the traditional Pin the Tail on the Donkey Game.
- Make a large blow up of Drac’s face – https://spaces.hightail.com/space/37OrXNvlIt — and tape it to a wall.
- Blindfold each camper.
- Hand each camper a cutout shape of Drac’s fangs with double-sided tape on the back.
- Optional: You can turn each camper once around to make it a bit more difficult for them.
- Have them try to place the fangs on the correct spot on Drac’s face.
PROJECT RUNWAY: HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 3 VERSION
Now’s the time for campers to show their creativity and individuality by making and decorating their own cape that’s designed to show their personality. This cape project requires just a few inexpensive materials and does not need any sewing. Here’s a YouTube video that can help you —
- Fabric (Muslin, Fleece, Felt)
- Safety Pin for threading the ribbon
- Embellishments (pom poms, sequins, etc.)
TRICK OR TREAT BAGS
What’s Halloween without a bag of goodies?
Decorate the Bags
- Set up a table for campers to personalize their own trick or treat bag.
- Put out brown paper bags, crayons, scissors, glue and copies of the downloadable pages with the Hotel Transylvania 3 characters that they can cut out, color and glue on their bags.
Fill their Bags with Goodies
- Hand out the Hotel Transylvania 3 stickers and bookmark (to encourage summer reading) that Sony has provided.
- Print out these fun coloring pages and activity sheets for kids to take home.
HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 3: SUMMER VACATION
In Sony Pictures Animation’s Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, join our favorite monster family as they embark on a vacation on a luxury monster cruise ship so Drac can take a summer vacation from providing everyone else’s vacation at the hotel. It’s smooth sailing for Drac’s Pack as the monsters indulge in all of the shipboard fun the cruise has to offer, from monster volleyball to exotic excursions, and catching up on their moon tans. But the dream vacation turns into a nightmare when Mavis realizes Drac has fallen for the mysterious captain of the ship, Ericka, who hides a dangerous secret that could destroy all of monsterkind.